13 August 2011

"The Patience of Job" . . . Me? =)

Lots of water under the bridge and over the dam since last I wrote, and it's difficult not to repeat from previous posts. I try very hard not to do that unless the need moves me.


This has been one of those really "feel good" days, and I'm not sure where to begin, so I'll start with a few days ago, and last night.


First, another of my Navy vets boarded ship for a new port. I don't know that I mentioned him before, but he was a character. He came into the V.A. hospice with his laptop, and was trying his best to "get it all down" while he had time. I think he did an admirable job of it. I would love to read what he wrote if it's anything like the stories he told me. During WWII he was on the Atlantic for five years aboard a destroyer. He told me they took out 47 "Kraut subs" on his watch! When I first met him, he told me there was NO one on this earth luckier than he. He proceeded to tell me the stories. He also told me that he's an atheist. I suspect he attributes all of those close calls to luck, then. Well, God bless him anyway. He was a good man who served his country well, and for that he deserves a break. He loved to play cards, and that's exactly what he did his last night. He was 90 years old. Peace be with him . . .


My other Navy veteran (I'll call him Mr. G.), who I gave the whiteboard to, seems to be doing well. I wasn't aware of it, but because of that whiteboard, he was able to tell them he wanted his feeding tube back in. He had pulled it out several days before, so I assume they thought he wanted to be "on his way". His color is much better and, other than a few senior moments, seems very aware of his surroundings. I've gone through the whole Book of John for him. He watches me intently while I'm reading, and holds my hand. It's easy to hold a Kindle and turn the pages with one hand!




He's also the reason for the title of this particular blog . . . when I went in to ask if he wanted me to read to him last night, he wrote on his whiteboard "You have the patience of Job". Tell me that didn't give me a lump in my throat. I've been called many things, but rarely patient. But I have to say that has changed immensely over the past few years. And hey, what better way for me to get through the Bible?! Later that evening he sent the nurse after me, and wrote that I was "hard to keep track of"!! I once said that I was able to "distance" myself enough not to get attached, but this one could prove to be the exception. Many of the others want to sleep, so I just peek in to be sure they're okay.


One of Ben's best childhood friends recently passed away. It kind of makes me feel as if another piece of Ben is missing. But there's likely a happy reunion going on!

Dick and Ben


Moving on to today . . . I'm a list-maker. Inherited that from my dad. I always try to make the most of a day, especially a day off, thus the list! I had errands to take care of before the fun could begin, so I write things in the order of where they are in Prescott, working my way from one side of town to the other. I don't leave the garage without the Canon in the passenger seat! First was a quick stop at the V.A. to see if Mr. G's daughter had arrived yet. No. On to the courthouse plaza where there was a large arts and craft fair going on. That's good fodder for Canon photos. :)







Then to one of the shops to see a friend, and on to Rosa's Pizzeria for sustenance. VERY good New York style, and a fun interior to boot.







On my way up the street, I stopped to see another friend at her shop, then to the Humane Society's thrift shop to drop off some WAY too big pants, but their delivery door was closed, so I got my groceries and went back to "my" world. 


I'm probably alone too much (not that I want to be), other than work, so this is all good. Probably too much information, but it's a good indication that I'm at peace and paying attention to the "self talk".

1 comment:

Mary T said...

Nice- a different tone to this blog- pleasure in the ordinary day's activities.
Plus, lucky vets with you in their corner.