"Oh woe-ing" can be an easy rut to get into, but this is going to be a GRATIFYING blog. :) Gratifying is "to make someone feel pleased or satisfied". It's a two-way street, and I'm deeply indebted. Taking care of that is on my "Different Kind of Bucket List".
To be honest, it's sometimes very easy for me, as a "widow" (still hate that word), to ruminate on the negatives. Such as? Living in a "too big" house all by my lonesome, not enough Social Security $ which leads to not enough money to spend on people, wondering what my happy friends are doing, what's to happen if I have a catastrophic illness without insurance . . . you get the picture. But then along comes something, or somebody, that makes me realize I'm actually a lucky pup. I have a few friends who are total "givers", and it humbles me beyond words. Or, I'll surprise myself by doing something unexpected for someone else, not knowing how much it really meant to them. I was just guessing! Do you realize how much that can make your heart sing? It's as good for your soul as a good walk is for your body.
Some say to me that they "know this is a difficult time of year" for me, and I could indeed let it be. But I refuse. This was my third Christmas by myself, and yes, parts of it are still not fun, but there are always those who come through for we "loners". They think of us, and include us, even if it's just sending a card. I didn't send cards this year, but I let everyone know I appreciated their's, and not to give up on me. Two friends had dad and me over to their homes for dinner. I love to cook, but I didn't have to this year. However, I'm going to pay it forward. I'm keepin' a list and checkin' it twice! I have so many things and people to be grateful for (not to mention the over-active 90 year-old dad), and I think you know who you are. If you don't, you're soon to find out, one way or another.
My plate is full, and my cup runneth over :)
1 comment:
All the best, Kathy, for a New Year filled with the blessings of good health, friends, & adventure!
Post a Comment