He was always mindful of his medical needs, baked a mean rhubarb or apple pie, played with his grands and greats as if he were their age, and ALWAYS sent "real" cards on birthdays, Christmas, anniversaries, and even Valentine Day. I will miss those cards.
We first three kids grew up with him in the late '40's through the '60's, a time when kids knew their parents cared because they were disciplined. Yes we were! But fairly. We had curfews and were required to come in their bedroom to tell them we were home. If we tried to fudge on the time, we heard about it! My parents continued that caring to "the two who came later". You might say they raised two families, but justice was dealt out equally, as was the fun. They made holidays and birthdays a big deal.
As "his time" drew near, I know he thought even more about the love of his life, our mom. He loved to tell the story of how they met, their courtship, and ultimate marriage, and saved her ashes to be joined with his. He suffered no pain his last few weeks, but was very uncomfortable. When the heart surgeon told dad the surgery could be successful, even at his age, dad said, "No, I've had a great life. I'm done." We were all saddened, but I so admired that. And thus began the journey to get him back to his hometown, and on his way. He was on a mission, so it didn't take long, and I'm sure he gave us the thumbs up when all of his wishes were followed :). Hard to think about considering that, just a short time before this, he was 92 going on 70. But, in the words of the song, he did it his way!
Having lost my three "majors" in the last 4 1/2 years, I have to say that this one has had the most profound affect on me. He was with me through all of my 66 years, always there, and it's causing me to re-evaluate the direction my life is taking in a way I never did before. And that could be a good thing . . .
I'll see you later, Dad! You've given us the ultimate gift of good times to remember.
3 comments:
Well said!
Those who lead by example do so for an eternity and I do believe your Dad is one of those. Bravo. You said it well...I'll see you later Dad. And you shall.
Love you mighty girlfriend....
Excellent words! Dad would approve and probably has....yes indeed, he was quite a guy a what memories to enjoy!
Your bro with love,
Carl
Post a Comment