I often reflect on what got me to where I am. It was a mixture of those words in the title. I know so well that what we think, we can achieve. That goes for both the good and the bad. I can recall times when I just knew I was doing something that was beyond brilliant, in my own mind at least ;), and things that I knew were on the questionable side of right, and other things that I knew full well were just plain evil. What kid didn't? I never felt that I had a talent for anything, or that I could work to my full potential on any given task. In my mind, I was just average. But when all was said and done, and I ponder my path, I see that I did indeed accomplish a few things, which I won't go into now because that's not my purpose. If you know me, you'll know what they are.
The purpose is the path and, as one ages, it becomes important to go back and travel it once in awhile in order to understand what's happening now. One thing that's as clear to me as a spring fed pond is that, somewhere along the way, it was instilled in me that, when I really want something, I must commit to it completely. And I can see where I did and still am. And I'm not ashamed to say it makes me darned proud of myself!
Example(s):
Any pets I've ever had were with me until they died. I took the best care of them that I could, and loved 'em to pieces! I still chuckle over their funny antics.
I married my soulmate and had a good marriage with him for 28 years, and put everything I had into his care for 3 years when he was diagnosed with cancer. With nary a complaint. I used to wonder if I could have done more, but second-guessing is not good for the soul. I think about him often. I look at pictures of him and think, "what a neat man, how was I so lucky?" We had the normal up's and down's, but we made a lot of history in a fairly short time, and I will treasure that.
And now, my friend Bob. That's been the biggest character builder of all, but it's also worked it's way into the epitome of a good, solid friendship. It goes back to my post regarding letting go of expectations. He is the antithesis of myself . . . or so I thought. But how can someone who makes you laugh, encourages you to be proud of who you are, and go after what you want, be a bad thing. I have helped him and stuck with him through thick and thin until I remembered that I shouldn't forget to take care of myself. I can do that and still be there for him as he is for me.
These things are no different for me than for many of you reading this. But all situations are unique, and each path is as interesting as the next.
My path has recently developed a fork in it. My dad's Arizona house sold today, so he'll stay here until May, then in Iowa permanently. And Bob now lives 45 minutes away. I will not mope because of it. I look at it as an opportunity to make yet another commitment . . . to make my own little world more mine. Out goes the "stuff", the upper deck power washed and stained, a little accent painting in the living room . . . the list goes on and on! I will always "yearn" for that adventurous motorhome "fantasy", but we're talking "reality" here.
So, if you're bored and don't mind a little work, come stay with me. Room, board and adventures are free!

1 comment:
It was about time! Sounds like there are some more pages to fill in since your last poat...
Post a Comment