So onward goes the pondering as to where this "ship" is bound. I've been picking away at simplifying my life, and its helped me immensely in seeing that proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. You've maybe heard me mention the two Bob's before. Both of them are about to embark on their chosen paths, while I, on the other hand, am still kayaking against the wind.
One Bob is my dad. He has chosen to sell his home in Prescott and spend his remaining years in Iowa, the place he's known as "home". So, when he leaves here in May, I will probably see him rarely. It's a long and tedious trip back there. In the meantime, I will savor the adventures and laughs we've shared during his winters in Prescott. We haven't taken many "road trips" this year, but we dine together most every evening. He's come to know and like the other Bob whom we've included in the majority of our adventures. And he knows my other people who have kindly had him in their homes.
The "other" Bob is completely outside of my normal "box". Or is he? Our relationship, whatever one may call it, has introduced me to different kinds of risks, adventures, and learning experiences; ones that I probably had in me all along, but no one of like mind with which to share such a varied and symbiotic lifestyle. From traveling many miles to buy horses and look at acreages for him, to watching him tackle projects that I would see as better done by someone else, I've come to greatly admire his knowledge, tenacity, and drive to realize his dream. Well, he found that dream 45 minutes away. Not an insurmountable distance, but possibly difficult enough to maintain the deep friendship we've become accustomed to. I hope not.
And, at this point in my life, I've always wondered about those who feel that a "place", and the accompanying chores to keep them busy, is really enough. What happens when the dust has settled and you're left with only the mundane daily chores, and you're still alone with no one to share all of that effort.
I could say the same for me. I have a good little home that I was left with, and it's filled with two good cat buddies. Is it enough? I've been remiss in doing things I like, either due to weather, or other things that come up. I need warmth to kayak, re-stain the deck, fertilize plants, etc. So that can wait. But I like to cook, so I need to have peeps over for dinner. I need to ride the exercise bike (maybe tomorrow). And I need to tackle my growing "To Do" list. I've put much of this aside in order to please my adventurous spirit. And I've given and given to the point where I'm not sure what I got. Never thought about it. It's true what is said . . ." 'tis better to give than to receive", but what they fail to tell you is that there does come a fork in that road. At what point does one see that it's time to set your own course. Two of my favorite fortune cookie sayings: "Never Settle", and "Live With Intention"
The "Two Bob ships" have charted course and are leaving the pier, and my lines are still tied. At least I'm not adrift! But I wonder . . . will their departure cause me to re-think my own life, or will I continue to watch the tides come and go. The clock's tickin' . . .
And, at this point in my life, I've always wondered about those who feel that a "place", and the accompanying chores to keep them busy, is really enough. What happens when the dust has settled and you're left with only the mundane daily chores, and you're still alone with no one to share all of that effort.
I could say the same for me. I have a good little home that I was left with, and it's filled with two good cat buddies. Is it enough? I've been remiss in doing things I like, either due to weather, or other things that come up. I need warmth to kayak, re-stain the deck, fertilize plants, etc. So that can wait. But I like to cook, so I need to have peeps over for dinner. I need to ride the exercise bike (maybe tomorrow). And I need to tackle my growing "To Do" list. I've put much of this aside in order to please my adventurous spirit. And I've given and given to the point where I'm not sure what I got. Never thought about it. It's true what is said . . ." 'tis better to give than to receive", but what they fail to tell you is that there does come a fork in that road. At what point does one see that it's time to set your own course. Two of my favorite fortune cookie sayings: "Never Settle", and "Live With Intention"
The "Two Bob ships" have charted course and are leaving the pier, and my lines are still tied. At least I'm not adrift! But I wonder . . . will their departure cause me to re-think my own life, or will I continue to watch the tides come and go. The clock's tickin' . . .



1 comment:
Very thought provoking with a touch of humor. As the two Bobs take off, what will be your next chapter???
Post a Comment