The things which come from years of gathering. Human nature is to not let go of things we "might" need one of these days. Never mind that we haven't looked at, nor thought about, certain "things" in years.
This thought doesn't come from dwelling on impending doom. It just occurred to me, while pondering what should go on my garage sale sometime in the next millennium, that I'm leaving someone a heckuva lot to think about. Especially if it's all still here when I depart for my eternal dirt nap. Or ash nap. Why shouldn't my "stuff" be in just as good of order as my paperwork?
This is not to say that I'm a "hoarder". Far from it. But I still have a ton of stuff, and it overwhelms even me. What on earth will my survivors think?! I'll tell you . . . They'll come into the garage and say, "Good Lord, who needs 11 coolers of varying shapes and sizes? And tons of Ball jars, Starbucks mugs, etc." And that's just the garage! Horror of horrors when they go through my kitchen cupboards! But hey! You can't get rid of stuff that your mother and grandmother thought important for you to have. Same with the "decor" type of stuff. I got this or that from someone and I'd be betraying them if I get rid of it. I know, I know . . . they'll never know. But how does one KNOW that they won't know?
My guest bedroom closet has become a repository for cotton throws, afghans, and jackets collected over the years. I did finally give some of the grandma afghans to some of the younger generation last summer. But it was only a dent in my "overwhelmation". (I know that's not a word, but it fits.) Most of the jackets/coats are way cool, and they took a chunk out of my paychecks. I'll let people fight over those later. But I must say that the room is guest-ready. Nothing on the bed, dresser, or chair. (Under the bed, however, is another story.) Admirable.
My computer room/den? My survivors will exclaim, "My god she loved pens and leather bags!!" Yes, they fill the closet. But, to my credit, many have gone the way of consignment shops. Come on, we all have our weaknesses! Tell me you don't.
My living room and bedroom are all pretty much down to necessities except for the "little bit too much furniture" in the LR. I blame my parents for that. When they moved from Prescott once upon a time, I found it difficult to refuse a few items and, well, where there's a will there's a way of finding space.
Continuing down to the shop/storage area . . . this is the part that TRULY overwhelms me. I won't even name all of the things which lurk there. Suffice to say that I have to turn sideways to get through part of the storage room. Maybe I'll just turn people loose in there and say, "Make me an offer". There are few things that I need from that room. What does that tell me?
The shop area . . . all is well there. EXCEPT . . . how badly do I need a barber chair? Well, I do know how to cut hair, but I know no one who knows that. Until now. I've kept all the tools that one needs for household repairs. So I'm copacetic with the shop. Even the chair.
As you can see, there are no photos of the "stuff" in this post. It would only depress me. But . . . if I DID put some on, and you see something you like, I will entertain offers. :)
The best part about this world of mine? I love to come home to it! It's comfort at it's best. So, until said garage sale, I'm at peace.
To those who will follow after, all I can say is that, if I have not purged, I hope you'll find many things you can use. If not, donate it to an organization that has a large truck. Really large . . .
1 comment:
Going through the same thing here... Too much stuff stuff stuff!
Post a Comment