27 April 2014

Everybody's Hometown!

In looking back at some of my posts relating to "home" and being "alone", I'm prompted to expound just a tad more about my adopted home . . . Prescott, AZ., "Everybody's Hometown".

What lit the fire was a presentation I attended at a local museum the other day. My boss's mother (Judy Crawford York) gave the talk. Her family is a long-time Prescott name, like mine was where I came from. This woman is my age, and her theme was "Growing Up In Prescott". It took us through my era and, as I looked at her slides of how it used to be, the thought came to me that I experienced the same things, but in another place, 1700 miles away. Whether their history is mine or not, any history is precious. It's what got us where we are today, and I've gotten so that I sop up every bit of it that I can, like gravy with bread!

The other plus is that, with everything I learn about Prescott, my ties to it become even stronger, making me feel safer and more sure that I'm in the right place for now. I've never let myself become this attached to any other place I've lived. It would be easy to distance myself, not become "attached", but I ain't gittin' any younger. If this is where I'm meant to be, then let it surround me with those feelings of "home".

No matter where you live, when new people move to your town, you call them names . . . like "newbie", "transplant", "outsider", etc. I've learned not to do that because everyone comes from somewhere they called home. And now they want to borrow yours. You should be flattered. True, some of the new ones aren't the kind you'd like to have next door. But, as they say, it is what it is. It's called 'variety' . . . not always the spice of life. 

During my 16 years in this unique, not-so little-anymore, mountain town, I've been blessed with the right connections, mainly as the result of my career, one which required making a LOT of cold calls, building the relationship, and sticking with them whether they thought they needed me or not! Now, 4 years since I've left that career, many of those people are still my friends, adding to that feeling that maybe, just maybe, I'm "home".

I'll never be a "native" of Prescott because I'm a native of somewhere else. But, after 16 years as a Prescott resident, maybe, JUST maybe, one of these days, they'll call me a "local". Yeeeeeehaw!!

A terrible "selfie" !
(Yes, the sign above says "Go jump in
the lake")

4 comments:

BLT said...

Ah, yes....I DO know what you're gettin' at! I'm in the same boat with a few extra years under my "Prescott adopted hometown" belt. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! You are definitely a local yocal for sure! You are loved by all and I feel blessed to have you as a wonderful addition to my home town....looking forward to 4th of July!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!!! Your blog is terrific. And that doesn't even come close to saying how much I enjoyed reading the couple I have read so far. And the photography, well I don't have to tell you how great that is. What you have written is an insight into who Kathy is and I for one think she is awesome.
I look forward to reading more when the mood hits me. I don't want to read all of them at one time, I want to savor the reading like the taste of a good bottle of wine.

Thanks for sharing........

Sally DeLoss said...

Love your blog, Kathy. I think your selfie is great. You look fabulous.