As the months have come and gone, I've pondered what it is that sets some survivors apart from others ... it's pretty simple, but some don't make the effort. You need things to look forward to, be they large or small. You have to plan it, they don't come to you! Looking back is fine for memories, but you need to look forward to have a quality life.
My key is thinking of myself as another person, someone who deserves care. Once in awhile, if the budget allows, she gets a new article of clothing, a walk on a great trail, an adventure in the kayak, dinner out, an evening at the Elks Theater, a movie at Picture Show [only $5 for a senior :)], and shoot, even a trip to Wally World for another load of lint rollers for the cats can be a kick .... I really could go on and on! And I've become quite good at it.
One of the things that made my dad happy !!
I don't have family here, and I realize that friends have their own lives, so you can't depend on them to make you happy. That's up to you. I also know that some people are not comfortable doing things alone. For those people it's just as easy to invent things to look forward to that you can do in your own home, get all of those photos organized, clean out the guest bedroom & ask someone to stay awhile, get rid of things you don't use in your kitchen, think of someone else who deserves care & have them over for a simple dinner, or just a sinful dessert! Go ahead and buy it at Costco. Something to look forward to!
I'm thinking I don't have many people reading my blog who are needy. So, if you know someone who is, ask them what they've been doing for their "other self", and know that it takes a ton of effort to keep going forward, but the quality of life is so much better.
What's my plan for today? 1) Writing this blog. 2) Getting more lint rollers. 3) Finding some place to feed me. 4) Watching more of the videos I took when life was way different.
Number 4 reminds me that life really does go on!
Now, invite me for dinner! You KNOW what I'll say :) And I always pay back :)

No comments:
Post a Comment