14 October 2015

Reminders ... in bits 'n pieces

Interesting how those little nudges sometimes whip your thoughts into a tizzy. I was looking through emails on my Earthlink interface, ones I hadn't looked at in a long time, like since 2011! There's no better way to remind oneself how much circumstances have changed. 

I stopped volunteering at the V.A. hospice, not because I was burnt out, but simply because I felt it had run its course. So having just read this, written by my biggest cheerleader, I wonder now if it was a wrong turn:

 "KATHY, YOU SHOULD BE HUMBLED.  YOU ARE DOING WONDERFUL THINGS FOR PEOPLE IN NEED.  I ADMIRE WHAT YOU DO. ~ DAD"

Wow ... I'm humbled just by his words.  But it wasn't just dad's words. There were others ... one who even said I was her hero. Me a hero? Whose hero am I now? 

I live a rather mundane life at this point. With a few little adventures, yes, but I no longer have that feeling of 'making a difference', or making anyone proud. As I think about it, all of that faded away when I no longer heard those words of encouragement. There are those who would say, "do it for yourself!". Not that easy ... we all need that cheerleader, the one who brings it home that you're special and unique, even if you don't think so. That cheerleader puts into words those thoughts that you know are true but are afraid to admit for fear of appearing self-aggrandizing. 

A picture is forming here. Are you "getting it"? NEVER let a day go by that you don't say something to someone about their own particular greatness ... not just WHAT a great job they're doing, but why you think so. And not just that they look great, but WHY they do. It's all in the details. It gives them a reason to continue ... they've been noticed, and they know why. The result? They'll continue to build on and thrive from your encouragement. 

I really miss the particular brand of encouragement I got from Ben & my dad. I haven't done them any favors, or myself, by forgetting the happiness they gave me by making me feel worthy. But at least I know that, in the scheme of things, I'm my own best friend and it's up to me to keep me happy. 

Anyone who knows me knows that my deepest happiness is in knowing that, through being alone, I've come to know myself and what makes me tick ... the beautiful surroundings I live in, my photography, my furry housemates, being on the water in my kayak, and a few friends to share it with. I said it in another blog post some time ago ... you HAVE to have something to look forward to every single day of your life. Don't let your cheerleaders' opinion of you get lost in your gloom. 

My cheerleader!!


No comments: