Isn't THAT the truth! As time goes by, I'm amazed at the "moments" I'm remembering. And, oddly enough, it doesn't make me sad. I'm just tickled to know that they're still there even though I thought I'd forgotten them. Mostly miniscule stuff, but some very poignant ones as well. I've always been a dreamer in the hours of sleep, but those are not real memories. I'm sure they have hidden meaning, but I'm not a dream interpreter. I can only guess. The memories that intrigue me more are when I'm wide awake "day" dreaming.
I'll have a fleeting thought about something from long ago and it will prompt me to think, "Wow! I forgot about that!" Like what, you ask? How about the time I was probably a mere 7 years old, swimming around under the docks with a pair of goggles on, suddenly face to face with a fish. It was probably as stunned as I! But we held the gaze for a moment.
I was, am, and always will be a lake rat, so many of the memories come from that. Water skiing every chance I could get, swimming across the lake, or just floating on it. Fishing from my little blowup raft where I once caught something big enough that it dragged me backwards, and stole my hook, line, & sinker! Catching crappies so fast that I finally had to tie a fish basket to my foot. Exciting!
Also many, many thoughts about horses from the past, and the adventures shared with them miles from home in skin prickling hot, humid weather ... the squeaking of the saddle, the silence of country, asking a farmer if my horse could have a drink, and on we went.
Nights spent at the Roof Garden ballroom in Arnolds Park, IA (Google it!), seeing big name bands and singers from the 50's and 60's for just a few bucks. I'm triggering even more memories as I type!
Pets who have come and gone. That's a tough one. But each and every one of them left me with rich memories of their individual personalities. Don't tell me that animals aren't smart, or that they don't have memories. I have stories!
Trips to see grandparents in small town America. Exploring said small town, putting pennies on the train track, having grandma's incomparable cooking, combing grandpa's hair until he fell asleep ...
Last but not least, the parents who made it all possible, and the trials and tribulations they went through to make things possible. I'm most appreciative of having had structure and discipline in my life, unlike many kids today. I'm SO thankful that I grew up when I did, and that I won't be around to see the impending mess.
BEFORE I WAS EVEN A THOUGHT!
As of today, memories continue to be made even though they can't compare with those from the past. Those were from a more carefree and happy time. That's not to say that I'm currently UNhappy, just not quite so carefree. Some things weigh heavy on my mind, but I'm quick to remember that there are many who are not as lucky as I.


No comments:
Post a Comment