06 November 2016

Always Anticipating...

that there's something more. Or not. Kind of goes hand in hand with "always have something to look forward to".

The day dreams. Night dreams. They intermingle, reminding me of all the things that have passed and yet I feel as if they'll come around again. These thoughts/dreams become more frequent as I add birthdays. Odd the details that one stores away thinking them long forgotten ~ textures, scents, colors, locations, voices, things said, people ... It's sometimes unsettling, but always welcome.

At times I sense that I'm going to revisit a situation which was unfinished, or one that I long to continue. Most are family-related. Is it possible that we can sense our impending end and are "seeing" what's to come? Just a question. Or am I just missing the availability of being able to speak with those I no longer can, a result of being alone. Again, just a question. The mind plays tricks. Works its magic.


Reflecting ...

I find myself wondering what most of us wonder ... just what HAVE I accomplished. Well, when I read my old journals, I discover some of those forgotten things. And I think, "Wow! I did that?" Of course that's when I was a younger, braver person, able to get past the hurdles and hang ups. I need to give myself more credit for what I was, and am, capable of. A lesson for all of us. Ben always told me I was too hard on myself, and he was right. But I still am. I think most of us are.

As time plows forward, the thing I'm hardest on myself about is my health. I think I take better care of my cats! And I wonder why I can't hike very far, and why it's more difficult to accomplish things around my house. They say to take 10,000 steps per day, but I'm lucky if I take 4,000. My part-time job requires too much sitting. So do my favorite TV shows, although I don't watch that much. Yes, I kayak, but not enough, and it's only good for the upper body. It's my lower extremities that need help!  I'm just at kind of a loss as to what to do after dark. I used to post more on this blog, but I've become more at a loss for words, thinking who would be interested. For a time, the blog was a healthy release for me, and I felt that my journey was maybe helping others through theirs.  

Another thing that's not easy, being on the proverbial "fixed income", is the fact that I know I'll likely only be able to live vicariously through others. Not easy for an adventurous personality, but I've learned to accept and live with it, and remember that I did have some pretty awesome adventures. Dreams have given me the gift of remembering ...         

Age has given me the gift of knowing my priorities. 


No comments: