20 December 2016

My Handwritten Journal

My handwritten journal is where I store things that may not be mentioned on this blog, but I want to reveal a look back at my 2016. Not a bad year, nothing extraordinary, but many attitudes of gratitude!



Lotsa journaling

I'll begin with the 2015 Christmas season. I was totally prepared to spend it alone, but happy things sometimes appear out of left field! I was invited to spend Christmas eve with a wonderful family I had met many moons ago when they owned my favorite restaurant in Prescott. I felt very comfortable with them and got to meet more of their family. Cheers to them and to me!

Christmas Day ... I had dinner at one of my favorite places: Applebee's. I was being kind to myself, and it felt good. There's always something one can do to make what could have been a lonely time into a happy one. I have a knack for that.




I spent New Years with an older couple who had just moved into the house next door as renters. I was blessed with getting to know them for a little more than a year, and they are classified as true treasures in my book! They were full of stories, and their pasts were interesting. Sadly, he was recently diagnosed with Alzheimers. I hope it takes its time in coming because he has a ton of stories to tell and I don't want him to forget any of them. Yes, I heard some of them several times, but that's okay. I get it.



Ethan & Doris

My sweet cousin Susan and husband Tom came for a visit in January. It's always SO neat to share my world with family or friends. Doesn't happen often enough, so it's extra special when it does. Unfortunately there are those who are of the opinion that I'm inconvenient to get to, so I'll never see them again, or won't meet their kids, my nieces and nephews. Silly.

I had a great 68th birthday in Feb. Don't remember the details, but lots of serendipities occurred. And the best part ... I still feel like 35! 👍🏼

I unexpectedly lost a long time friend at only 64. I had long felt that she just didn't look well, and whatever it was, did catch up to her. It still hit close to home. 

A dear friend of mine, keen on adventures as am I, talked me into flying to Tampa, FLA to keep her company on the drive back to Arizona so she could visit old friends here. I'm glad she made me do it! I got to go through States I hadn't been in before, and had lunch with a nephew I hadn't seen for years. Stupendous! We had a roaring good time, even when we sat dead still on the interstate for about an hour one day. No time is boring with Sally around. The biggest treat was having her as a house guest while she was here ... not the kind of person one gets tired of! 



Da plane!


Sally 



Nephew Jeff in Texas

And then there's Mothers Day ... I have step-children and they remember me on that day. You can't imagine the lump that brings to my throat. 😘

Then my older step-daughter & her husband came to visit in June. I was very touched that they wanted to do that. It was nice to have one-on-one time with them and I hated to see them go. Ben was smiling!



Mark & Mary

I can't forget the July 4th parade. I announce it every year with my good friend LaRee, and we have ball! Nice part is that we're always in the shade, right on Whiskey Row ...



LaRee & me

On Labor Day I was invited to a nearby neighbors' home. Lots of good food, new people to visit with, their son DJ'd, and it was just an all around good time!




Another good memory is capturing the Supermoon at Watson Lake. Not bad for an amateur!




One day I remembered that it'd been awhile since I road tripped, so I got in my little truck and trekked to the Sierra Prieta Overlook where you can see forever. It's a bit of a tedious drive, but picturesque and fun. I enjoyed myself immensely. Throw in a little kayaking and hiking and I'm good to go!



Sierra Prieta view


One of my favorite things!


Hiking the Constellation trail with Janis 

I spent Thanksgiving with a group who calls themselves "Arizona Family". Like me, none of them have family here either, so it was a good fit. A woman I work with invited me and I had a great time. Not to mention the good food 😉. I got to have a second Thanksgiving at my good friend Pat's as well. Good thing I LOVE turkey! With the leftovers she sent home with me, I had 3 Thanksgiving meals. 😳






I also put myself in financial jeopardy! Some stucco repair and having the house painted. It needed to be done, and I'm glad I did it. Now it's in primo condition. There's nothing more important than taking care of the world you live in. The older I get, the scarier it gets. But from past experience I know I'm a survivor and things will work out.




And now I'm looking forward to spending this Christmas with my sister Jane. I feel honored that she'll make that tiring 8 hour drive, so I'll make it worth her while! We've got some neat adventures on the list, and some plain old down time coming up.



Jane & me



So, as I leave 2016, I thank the friends who don't forget me (and put up with me!), and I also cherish my camera, kayak, cats and Kindle. In spite of a very unorthodox Presidential election (whew!), I'm looking forward to a healthy and adventurous 2017. I wish that for all of you as well ...

Some of those friends ... but not nearly all of them! ⤵



Pat



Deb


Carol (the wild one) & me


Not sure of its name!


Cricket & Riley - housemates of mine

My point is, and I do always have one, is this: When you have those moments where you think your ship is sinking, take a close look back at your life. Sometimes you have to go back to understand what's happening now. Here's what I see for me ... when I least expect it, along comes a gift in some form or other. I didn't include nearly all of them in this post. I've always said that, in order to really live, you have to plan something to look forward to every single day. There's your New Year Resolution!




No comments: