04 February 2018

70 ... seventy ... seven zero ...

February 3, 1948, 6:59am CST on a stormy Iowa winter day ...

I refuse to believe I'm "that old", but numbers don't lie. In my head, I'm 30-ish. It's the attitude that counts. And good German genes, along with hearty Irish ones. 

As the years have passed, I find myself running little movies in my head about the most inane memories, ones that I hadn't thought about in years. I've also been thinking it's time to pass on to others some of the things I no longer need. I suppose that's typical. Or is it simply a reminder that the proverbial clock is ticking? No other decade birthday awoke me quite like this one ... proof that one is definitely over the halfway mark.

Although I have some health issues, they're nothing that has stopped me from doing things I want to do ... kayaking, photography, reading, walking. I see others my age, and even younger, who seem to be on their last lap. Chalk it up to genes, bad lifestyle choices, or whatever. I've had a few of those myself, but I think the difference is that I chose not to let them affect me. My 30 year-old brain is in denial, and that's a GOOD thing! 

I had a memorable birthday thanks to some good friends & neighbors, plus all of the wishes on Facebook. Can't forget that! One may only hear from some of them once a year, but it all serves to add to quality of life. And those, my friends, are 3 of the most important words to remember. Quality Of Life. I have it in abundance! I wish nothing less for you.


No comments: