26 August 2017

That "fork in the road" ...

There comes a time when one reaches that fork and hasn't a clue which path to take. But when your doctor calls with test results, you feel a kick in the rump to do the right thing.

Basically, I'm a potential mess, meaning I have a chance to remedy some of it. Parts of it are due to dumb choices along the way, and some are due to heredity. But ALL are damned scary. This from someone who, up until a few years ago, was in decent condition. When you're at that point, you mistakenly think you're invincible. But it was at that point when I should have seen my chance to reverse course and taken it. Live & learn.

The difficult part, as I've mentioned in other posts, is having no support if needed. Far away family, and friends who have their own issues, are not good candidates unless they want to be. Heck, I don't even know who to put to call in case of emergency!  And, unfortunately, I'm one of those who says to self: I can do this

Reality check ... there will come a time, hopefully in the distant future, when I can't. 

That's why, as of today, one word comes to the forefront ... SIMPLIFY. Also not an easy thing, but I have to figure out where to start. It doesn't just mean getting rid of "stuff". It also means selling a home that's more than I need, with a low-maintenance yard that still requires some effort. I don't need that. Thankfully, the house is in pretty great shape.

It still amazes me that, through it all, I'm a positive person. That's one gift from my dad, and the one thing that keeps me going!  

My point is ... for those of you who think you're invincible ... wake up. Some things are still reversible, and the others can be managed.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stay strong, Kathy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We all have to face things we never thought we would.

Marlene from Shreveport

Marlene Ward said...

How are you doing? We need an update! Happy Thanksgiving!

Marlene from Shreveport