06 July 2018

Eye have been dealt a challenge ...

I posted on Facebook that I always thought my eyes would be there for me. Based on the comments, I feel compelled to explain a few things that healthy eyed people might not otherwise know. 



I watched my mom & grandma go through the macular degeneration "thing", but in retrospect I had no idea what they were going through and how scary it might be. They were lucky enough to have someone there for them as it became worse. To be alone with it is the biggest challenge. 

All kinds of things go through my mind knowing that, at some point, I will no longer be able to see to do simple things, or see beautiful scenery, or kayak, or take photos, or drive ... things that most people take for granted. That was my point with the FB post ... don't take your eyes for granted. We always think bad things can't happen to us. Case in point: I see people squinting in the sun, or glued to electronics that emit blue light (one of the worst things), without protecting their eyes. I was guilty as well. But macular degeneration can also happen for other reasons ... it may run in your family, blue eyes are more at risk, etc., etc. And it's more common in females. Oh yes, smoking is THE worst, even secondhand.

I sit on my deck and commit everything I'm seeing to memory, all the time hoping that it won't come to that ... just a memory. But it can. I'm thankful every single day, that I seem to be a positive person with a sense of humor, and that will see me through. I know that depression can come with this insidious affliction, but I will try my best not to go there. This whole issue is causing me to make a concerted effort to live more in the "now". It does no good to whimper or whine about what could have been. I'm a planner & a list maker, a pro-active person when it comes to keeping my medical providers on track. That's the best I can do.

At this point, I can still see well with both eyes open. My right eye has "wet macular" (exudative), which is not good. Lines are squiggly or missing small sections. I could eventually lose the central vision with only the peripheral remaining. The left eye is still in the "dry" stage, and I pray it will stay that way. The right eye now requires injections to shrink any pockets of fluid. I've only had one so far, but it will likely become a lifelong occurrence, anywhere from every 6 weeks to ? My optometrist had been watching the advancement for about 10 years, but when I recently sensed changes in my right eye, I was immediately referred to a retinal specialist, hence the injection. 

Millions of people have MD, so be proactive with yourself by asking questions, looking at the Amsler grid daily or weekly (download one & hang it on your fridge). I'm a voracious reader, so I know there are many things I can do to make my life easier if things get worse. If you know someone with MD, don't assume you know where they are with it, or that you really know what it is. Be there.

1 comment:

Marlene Ward said...

I left a message the other day that although showed published, did not show. My husband has this disease now and it seems to be inherited. He has gotten 5 shots so far in his eyes. Good luck Kathy with this new phase in your life.

Marlene Norwood Ward
Shreveport, LA