"I so enjoy reading your words of wisdom – and I truly mean that! You have such a talent for putting words together that can help and inspire people! Right now I am sitting on the couch in a very quiet house listening to the furnace run and the tapping of the keys on my keyboard. My coffee is about gone but I felt so compelled to drop you a note!
As I read your blog, I think about my mom. Dad had an MRI done on a shoulder that’s been a bit bothersome and there was a suspicious spot on the bone of his shoulder that was also seen. Well – thank God for their proactive doctor(s) because he had a complete bone-scan done on Thursday to see what’s what. Needless to say, we’re a bit worried.
So I think a lot about my mom as I read your entries. I think about the kinds of changes we may encounter. I think about the change we’re going to encounter regardless. My folks have been in pretty darned good health despite some curve-balls thrown at them. Everyone, including them, realizes the good fortune of their good health. One of my beliefs is that illness can be seen as a gift. That gift is to do and say the things you know you have been putting off. Your blog helps motivate us to get with the program!
So for me, regardless of the outcome of Dad’s scan, I plan to encourage my family and my siblings to embrace the gift of time. The man is 84 and in good shape. Mom turns 82 next week! We’ve been blessed with the gift of time and your blog helps remind me not to take that gift for granted."
And my reply . . .
"You have a bit of the word thing going on there yourself! Some are good with putting words together, others are better with the thoughts. For me it's straight from the heart, no holds barred. The blog was cathartic at first, now it's hopefully become more helpful. I see so many out there who go merrily on their way, totally unprepared for the unknown. And yes, when it hits them, it's going to be like nothing else they've ever experienced. Hopefully my blog will lighten the blow. My situation was different than those who will lose someone to a sudden death. I had a lot of 'anticipatory grief', thus more time to accept the inevitable. But it's still an out-of-control experience no matter what spin one puts on it. You keyed in on the most important thing I've tried to get across: Don't sweat the small stuff. In the scheme of things it's just not worth it. Live as if that person could die tomorrow and act accordingly. You seem to have a "tight" family, and that makes everything so much easier. Feel free to share my blog link with them.
My dad is 89 now, but I think he's around 50 mentally! He's nothing short of amazing and, if I have his genes, let me live! If not, just shoot me! :)"
And that, my friends, is what it's all about. This blog is intended for nothing more than baring my soul. But it's hopefully also entertaining at times. What would life be without a little humor? It's like I keep saying . . .
"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"

1 comment:
Thanks for sharing your friend's insight. I agree with her- you have a gift with words that can help others.
Post a Comment