24 October 2011

Only Time . . .

Can you recall a time in your life when everything was as it should be? Can you recall everything which led up to it being that way for you? And how you've kept it that way? And, if your life isn't that way still, why isn't it?


One might think, "does it have to be just one time?" Yes, because there is one time that will stand out like no other. In the scheme of things "one time" can be one day, or it can span many years.


Like I said in my 10/19 post, the state of my life is directly attributable to me. I had choices. I could have made different ones, and I could have avoided the more questionable ones. But, had I done that, would I have been able to come to that one time in my life when everything was as it should be? Is there such a thing as predestination? I guess we could worry that question to death. In the words of Enya's song, Only Time: 


"Who can say where the road goes, where the day flows . . . only time . . .".


Time. So much of it has gone by, taking me with it, and I sit here pondering that "one time". I know in my heart when it was, and I can answer all of the questions I asked at the beginning. But the most difficult one to answer is the final one because the answer is so simple. Not a day goes by that I don't still think about it and ask, "why?"


But since there's nothing I can do about it, I move on knowing a time like that will never happen again in my lifetime. Nothing even similar. And that only serves to make that slice of time all the more powerful and treasured.


In the meantime, I've gone on to make more choices, good and not so good. But it's intriguing to think where it all might lead. Where will I be in a year, ten, twenty, or thirty? 


It's an enigma.


Everything was as it should be

 
"One Moment In Time" with Whitney Houston

2 comments:

Mary T said...

Kind of like your dad's "what if's." One tiny choice or happening can change your whole life! Is that predestination or do our decisions make the difference?

Kathy said...

The decisions ARE predestined! (If you believe in that. My jury is out.)