On the other hand, my career, which started "back there", continued "out here". It was the kind of job that allowed me to meet more people than I'll ever remember, but they are a widely varied lot who have helped me to feel at home here. It has gotten me through doors that would remain closed to some. Those doors remain open even though I'm no longer in that career. When you do right by your customers, and truly care about them, it pays huge dividends by developing into lifelong friendships. That is the stuff that "home" is made of. If it's true that "home is where the heart is", then mine is somewhat divided. But as I've said before, I struggled with the "should I go or stay" thing when I lost Ben. There wasn't a tug from "back there", but the pull to stay where I am was strong. I hope I'm right. However . . . never say never. :) I've always had a case of wanderlust, but one needs the means to wander, which brings me to the whole point of this home thing ~ being at peace right where I am, and making the best of it.
I chuckle when I hear someone say they're a "native" of where they live. I'm a native of America. Does that count? Of course it does, but I understand their meaning. When push comes to shove, we're all from somewhere else, but after 14 years here, I'm feeling more "native" every day! The only thing that saddens me is that this is no longer the America I remember. Is there anything I can do about that? Yes, two things ~ concentrate on where I am, and vote as if my life depends on it in the next election because it probably does.
Just how ingrained I've become in my 2nd home was very clear to me today. As I sat (and stood) there announcing the Rodeo parade (2nd largest in the state!) in 100 degree weather with my good friend, I felt so honored and humbled to be a part of the history of Prescott while surrounded by 1000's of people. I am guessing that there are few other small cities that celebrate their beginnings as wholeheartedly. Anything I could ever want to do or see is all right here. Somebody pinch me quick!
Just how ingrained I've become in my 2nd home was very clear to me today. As I sat (and stood) there announcing the Rodeo parade (2nd largest in the state!) in 100 degree weather with my good friend, I felt so honored and humbled to be a part of the history of Prescott while surrounded by 1000's of people. I am guessing that there are few other small cities that celebrate their beginnings as wholeheartedly. Anything I could ever want to do or see is all right here. Somebody pinch me quick!
Hey! It's rodeo week! Anything goes . . .
My friend Becky and me announcing the parade.
At LEAST 150 entries. We is tired!
What's next?!
My friend Becky and me announcing the parade.
At LEAST 150 entries. We is tired!
What's next?!

1 comment:
How remarkable to find a new home, decide to keep it, & to also honor you "bringing up" home!
Post a Comment