03 September 2012

Adventures of a sort . . .

I think I've alluded in past posts to the fact that one has to sometimes really work at inventing ways to stay "in the world". Included in that is scolding that self to get with it! I normally don't have a real difficult time doing that. But I do forget what has made me happy in the past. Looking at my photos and reading my journal solves that problem, but it still takes some time to work up the enthusiasm to relive those happier adventures, or come up with new ones. Lately, for some reason, I'm driving myself even harder to "get with it". Not sure why. I just know it's a good thing.


I'm not THAT driven!

I have this friend who is currently very impulsive, even though he knows he shouldn't be. I guess we've all experienced a time when we wanted something so badly that we went after it knowing full well that we shouldn't without a solid plan. But he's absolutely intent on moving out of a place he can no longer stand, and getting a little acreage of his own, complete with horses and a huge garden. He used to have that and he wants it back. God bless him! I'm his biggest cheerleader. I've learned, through our platonic relationship, not to challenge his opinions or decisions. Better to play the "Devil's Advocate"! That way he tends to rethink some things and come up with a more livable decision.


We did, however, have one of those impulsive adventures last week when we drove three hours to pick up yet another horse (this makes 3) before he even has his dream place. He does have a place to keep them for now, but he needs a better one. I must say that he's been lucky concerning price and quality. And this latest acquisition is much happier being 3 hours, and 20° coolernorth of where he was! He'll pay for himself over time.



Happy little Haflinger stallion

We got backed up on I-17, but patience is one of those virtues, yes? Turns out it was a little tiny accident, and it was off to the side of the freeway. Therefore, we know the backup was caused by gawkers, pure and simple. They were totally oblivious to the fact that we were on a mission! 

I-17
Precious cargo attached

Doesn't matter where I go or what I do, but it all needs to be an adventure of a sort. It can be an unplanned detour, a sudden change of mind, a different place to eat, or surprising someone with a cake, but it needs to be considered as something out of the ordinary. Would you rather see a flowing river or a stagnant pond, a black sky or fireworks? 

I can live vicariously through my friend's adventures and it doesn't cost me a dime. :) But it's even more fun to invent my own. I'm easily entertained!

1 comment:

Mary T said...

carpe diem Kathy!