05 December 2012

Godspeed, my big brother!

As I was writing my previous post last night, I somehow knew that I'd be writing another one soon after. Larry passed away tonight at 7:30pm CST. In view of the fact that he would not have had a good quality of life, I'm relieved for him. May he now rest in painless peace . . .



Larry & his beloved Holly :)

I also want to add this that his oldest son wrote about his final hours. Couldn't have been a better way to spend them . . .

"During the wee hours of this very day, Wednesday morning, dad's eyes cleared, he rose from a fog, and he was able to understand me and follow along as I recounted fond memories, talked of old friends and travels, motors and scuba diving, assured him Holly was safe, and spoke of his future with God, his mom, and friends and relatives past.  We even did some light reading of some of his favorite passages from Douglas Adams and Mark Twain.
I retold every message on this Caring Bridge, as well as an envelope of kind messages from the United Methodist Church in Spirit Lake, and cards and emails sent to his room.  And to each he acknowledged, knowingly.
We carried on until nearly 4 AM, when he fell into a restful sleep."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, this has me in tears. I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine losing a sibling. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. May Larry Rest in Peace.

Mary T said...

Heartfelt sympathy to all your family- our thoughts and prayers are with you.