02 February 2013

I had a dream . . .

Once in awhile the past washes over me like a tsunami wave. It inundates and swirls around, creating what I guess is supposed to represent memories past. I've always been a dreamer during sleep, from so-so dreams to very vivid and detailed dreams. This morning's was the latter. And of course many of the details have faded, but the gist of it remains . . .

It seemed to begin with family sitting at a breakfast table where one member was eating what looked to be a delightful meal she'd prepared for herself. I wondered what it was comprised of and she told me, but that's one of the faded details. I thought she'd offer me some, but no.



Then there was a shift in location. I was in a place where there were hundreds of people, but the background was rather dark and blurred. I assumed that I was supposed to know all of these people milling around, then someone handed every one of us several nice canvas messenger bags, each with a different print on them, in pretty colors. So we're all holding I don't know how many of these bags!



 I began to go through mine, and the only thing I could come up with was that each bag represented each year of our lives, full of photos from each year, mainly of people. Then the scene shifted once again. All of us are sitting at very long tables which are rather close together, and we're looking through our many bags. If it's one for each year, that means I would have 65!! One of mine had spilled out it's contents and, not being sure if they'd been in any order, I shoved them back in, hoping I hadn't taken anything out of sync. I had a sense that I had known each and every one of these hundreds of people sitting around me, at one time or another. Next to me was woman named Pam. I'm not sure how I knew that because she didn't speak to me and was conversing with someone on her other side. She seemed sad and I felt remorseful that I couldn't seem to reach out to her.



I had a feeling that Ben was sitting on the opposite side of me, and he eventually left. I got up to follow and found myself trying to negotiate a slippery, slanted wood floor where I ended up outside of the cavernous area where we'd been.



I walked through grass toward more people, but couldn't catch sight of Ben, so I wandered aimlessly for awhile, eventually coming back to the real world of wakefulness. But just think . . . every one of you reading this were in that crowd!

I'm sure that a "dream interpreter" would have myriad opinions regarding that dream, but I don't need any help in untangling it. All one has to do is look at their daily thoughts and actions to know where it came from. And I know that as one ages, it becomes interesting to contemplate what was, is, or should have been important. It's unfortunate that we sometimes don't get a wake up call until it's too late. But I'm a firm believer that that's exactly what dreams are made of.

What kind of dreams do you have?

No comments: