24 August 2013

Post-toe injury thoughts . . .

What toe injury, you ask? Guess I'd best start with that for those who are in the dark. I lost 1/2 of the second toe to a horse. An orthopedic surgeon then worked his magic . . . I hope. A goat that the horse played with came up behind and startled said horse. I happened to be in the way. And yes, with the wrong shoes on. The big toe was smashed 45 years ago by a 50 lb. weight lifting weight, and suffered lacerations in this go around. I looked at my foot and said "OH S___, my toe!! Ran to the nearest bathtub and flushed it with cool water, then asked the friend who owns the horse to drive me, in my 'Rango, 45 mi. to the hospital in Prescott. I was experiencing no pain, and did not want to be anywhere but home. At one point I noticed he was going 90 mph. I calmly asked if he'd slow down, that I'd rather get there alive. This friend stayed with me through the hospital debacle, and on my sofa through that night. I haven't heard much from him since. (He has a weak stomach ;). I know he only did it from a sense of duty, but that's okay. 



My whole point to this blog is "Alone-ness". How many are NOT prepared for a major medical event, or have no one willing to go through it with them and stay the course. Is my hand the only one raised? In all fairness, I have since learned that I do in fact have a few friends who said they fit the description, and I am humbled. I hope it's never put to the test. 

The thing is, my life has not been one of being alone. I don't mind a little of it, but I know too much isn't good for the soul. I decided at a young age that I would be good at inventing things to do, exercising a vivid imagination, and that has continued through my adult life. But . . . the caveat is aging, or suffering a wound that causes one to be hung up for awhile. I can only read just so much, write just so much, walk hardly at all right now, and eat only because I have to. Then what happens? You question your circumstances, like where you are, where you should be, and how to get there.


So . . . I've pretty much decided that I need to STOP being afraid of asking. If you need help with something, I expect you to tell me, and be specific. Then I'm on it. And I hope I know the kind of people who would feel the same way. I guess I won't know until I ask. ;)

But back to the surgery prep room. Darned scary! Having been blessed with a sense of humor has turned the tide many times in my life, and it shined through on this one. I'm lying there seeing the humor in things so that my "friend" doesn't faint or hurl. Who is supposed to be seeing whom through this nightmare?! Well, whatever it takes, I guess. My philosophy is precisely this: When something bad happens, it's much more healing to see the humor in it than to whine or cry. It is what it is and you can't turn it around. I will continue to live by the quote below my photo on the right. Nature of the beast.

(P.S. Please be so kind as to register your reaction below. I don't know who you are, but it's interesting to see the "opinions". Thank you :)

1 comment:

Mary t said...

Thought provoking.