And nearly a year since I last posted! So much to recall through all of those days ... not sure that I want to. So many positives and negatives.
The biggest negative is not having been back to the lakes in 9 freaking years. Nine! I haven't been anywhere since August of 2014. Who does that?! At least I had my little housemate kitties, and my kayak and camera, but still ... I'm not even going to try to remember every little thing, but the big thing was Covid sneaking in with a big bang at the end of 2019. Although I never got the dreaded sickness, it still did a huge number on me by turning me into something of a hermit. I slowly stopped kayaking and read hundreds of books, which is a good thing I guess. But it was a surreal world for at least 3 years.
I was grateful for the companionship of Cricket and Riley. But poor little Riley was having his ups and downs with whatever ailed him. I can't count the $ I spent trying to solve it for him, and sadly never did. I lost Cricket at 16 in October of 2022 because she seemed to be surviving only to eat, but she just lost weight, and had always been terribly thin. Poor baby. Then, in May of 2023, I had to let go of Riley at 16 1/2. It was THE HARDEST thing I have ever had to do. Of the 5 cats I've had, he was by far the most unique. We had a special connection. The day that I knew it was time, was horrible and I fought it until thinking that it was about his quality of life, not mine. Sitting there with him at the end was just not real. I kissed and kissed his little head and hoped he knew how much I adored him. I cried off & on for days, and still have my moments. I have a big empty hole from all of my past pets and miss them as if it were yesterday. 5 cats: Zeke, Chamois, Stripes, Cricket & Riley. 3 dogs: Abby, Brandy and Muffin. A ton of history there, along with a lot of laughs. I haven't made up my mind if I want to go through it again, but I do miss another presence in the house.
As for going back to the lakes after a 9 year absence ... i stewed about and weighed pros and cons about flying or driving. I love to drive, so that's what I decided. But, I kept thinking at my age whether or not it was a good idea. When I got out my little bag, I knew I'd made up my mind. I had a sister back there with a home on the lake that I could stay with, so I warned her and my other sister in Montana. I prepped my little 10 year-old Toyota Tacoma and left Prescott in the rear view. Miles & miles of highway stretched out beneath my tires and it felt good. Funny thing though ... when I was younger it only took 2 days and a night. Now it took 3 days & 2 nights. But I was not in a hurry and my aging bones were taking it well. Just got sick of all the semis!
I arrived in the evening of the third day and the humidity went to work on my dried up Arizona skin! It was nice to smell that big lake again, and to see Mary & John's beautiful home. Long story short, I accomplished most of what I went back there for ... seeing old friends and places, and spending a little time with Mary, Ben's kids, nephew Jason & his family, my cousin Susan & my aunt Elveda who is now 99! I didn't realize you could stay too long with family, but I guess I did. So, after 2 weeks, I packed up the little truck and made my return trek to Arizona. I had mostly good weather until I hit northern AZ where it poured buckets on me, plus thunder & lightning, all the way to my Prescott turnoff way past Flagstaff. It was great to get home to my own bed!
As for all of the other thousands of days, I know they're in my memory box, but I won't bore you. I'm sometimes amazed at what I can remember, and am surprised that it's all still there! I'm pretty certain that I'm not finished yet, but who knows what's next? Meantime, I'll just keep reading ...






No comments:
Post a Comment