30 January 2012

Gazing ahead at another year . . .

Yeehaw . . . the anniversary of the day of birth at approximately 6:59AM on a February 3rd a long, long time ago. It was a cold and snowy day. When the Dr. came out from the delivery, he connected the tip of his index finger with the tip of his thumb to indicate to dad that it was a girl! There'd already been two boys, so now life was complete. Ha! Ha! To be continued . . . twelve years later when yet another girl did appear, and another one 3 years after that one.


In the meantime, I won't get into much detail regarding the path of that first baby girl, having done that in previous posts. But suffice it to say that I was probably a trial and a tribulation. Uh, no, not "probably" . . . definitely! 


Birthdays cease to be important for a time, especially when you live by yourself, but after awhile, they come back into the forefront. One begins to feel that mortality, and the questions begin, albeit silently . . . How many more? What's gonna get me? Who will take care of me? All that kind of "stuff". I don't worry about it as much as I used to. What will be will be.


More important to me is that I continue to juggle that "Different kind of Bucket List." I have a copy in front of me but, admittedly, I've been lax. However, with another Birth Anniversary at hand, I'll pick something from the list and just DO it!


How 'bout the one where I said, "Remember, each day is a gift not to be wasted". Actually, there aren't many days wasted in my life. Ah ha! There's the one . . . "Live one moment at a time. One hour. One day." I do tend to be a multi-tasker, thereby losing the clarity of each precious moment. So being better at "savoring moments" shall be my gift to my self. 


Take a moment to think about this . . .


I am the only one of me. You are the only one of you. 

If that isn't absolutely, awesomely overwhelming to you, you aren't thinking about it hard enough. No one else was born with your fingerprints, DNA, etc., etc. They're yours and yours alone. Sometimes we lose sight of this when we're being too concerned about the world around us. If you aren't being kind enough to yourself, it's never too late to start.

"Friendship with oneself is all-important because
without it one cannot be friends with anyone else in the world."
-- Eleanor Roosevelt

So Happy anniversary of birth, "me" . . . lets make it count. :)

One could set a house afire with the number of candles I need!

1 comment:

Mary T said...

Happy Birthday Kathy!