06 February 2012

Ups 'n downs 'n all arounds . . .

Ever experience that unmistakable, all-encompassing, feeling of peace and contentment, spreading over you like a soft Merino wool blanket? Your pulse slows and you heave one of those purely contented sighs? It isn't there all of the time, but I'm okay with that. If it was, I'd take it for granted. I've learned how to earn it. It's nothing in black and white, so I have to feel my way to it. I'd been missing it for a time though, and was worried it wouldn't come back. When I least expected it, there it was. It can't be forced. It'll make you wonder what you did to earn it. But, if I use common sense, the answer is . . . DUH! Peace and contentment come when I've done, or am doing, something for someone else, or when someone did something unexpectedly awesome for me. This isn't one of those self-help, preachy blogs. I simply have these "AH HAH!" moments and need to pass it on before I lose the momentum. I always figured everyone had these peaceful and contented feelings, but no. 



I was talking with a friend, and he asked how I could have such a trusting and good outlook pretty much most of the time considering what I've been through. He told me that he has a very difficult time letting go of past events, and times when he was hurt, that he wishes he could just live in the "Now". The title of this blog fits him. I told him that there was a time when I was the same way now and again, but there came a time, not long ago, when I just let go, kind of like relaxing your entire body, starting with the toes and working your way to the top. I'm not good at telling people what they should do, so my greatest hope is that he'll just learn it from assimilation. I believe that might be what happened with me. I tend to take the best from people I admire, and try to work it into myself, sometimes without even realizing it. Therefore, I try not to "hang" with toxic personalities. When it can't be avoided, I listen politely and smile, thinking about the next book I'm going to read on my Kindle. :)


With the loss of a spouse you lose half of your income, or at least I did. So I don't have a whole lot materially speaking, but what I have invested in hope and intestinal fortitude, and knowing I'll be okay if I keep doing what I'm doing, I'm good for the long haul. How much better can it get?!!

Upside Down Kitty
or . . .
Learning the relaxation techniques of a cat :)

1 comment:

Mary T said...

Maybe it was an unexpected birthday gift to yourself...