23 February 2012

The Child Within . . .

Do you allow your "inner child" to come out and play? What do you feel comprises the "inner child"? Unconditional love, adventure, comfort, roller coaster rides, playing hooky from life, teasing, avoiding commitment . . . ? 

I know I have an "inner child", and here's what she is to me: It's giving myself permission to forget that I'm 64 when I feel more like 35. It doesn't allow me to say "No, I can't do that/wear that/say that at my age". I know no age. I can't deny that certain parts will soon not work as well, or won't work at all, but until that happens, the "inner child" rules. Yes, I still look in the mirror and ask what happened to that little girl, but I can also say that she's still in there. She gives me second chances to right some wrongs, to love a little better, to be kinder to myself and to others, to spend some time on a swing, kayak like a madwoman, and be passionate about things that move me.



I was blessed with being able to avoid the "age barrier" ~ acting one's age ~ whatever that means. Many are not. But I am what I feel. What the "inner child" can't do is erase regrets. All it can do is create diversions to direct me to the aforementioned second chances. And God knows I won't make the same mistakes twice because I was also blessed with an accurate "sixth sense" (intuition) and I've rarely been wrong. But there were times when I didn't listen.

I've mentioned before that my heart was heavy with thoughts that, as a caregiver, I could have done more. But so many things came between me and the ability to sort that out. Thus the name of this blog ~ I was attempting to maintain grace under great pressure. I had no idea what a number my job was doing on me, combined with caregiving, and trying to be all things to all people. You can't do it, so don't even try. If you dislike your job, or the people who manage you, do yourself a favor and find another. If you feel there's something more you could be doing, then do it. If you want someone to know you love them, then tell them. And mean it. If you feel a hug coming on, follow through. If someone does you a favor, pay it back and forward. If someone hurts you, learn from it and move on. Listen to your "inner child", or "the voice within", if you prefer that expression. It speaks volumes.




And remember . . . HUGE difference between the "inner child" and the evil twin.


It's taken me some time to practice what I'm preaching, but the past is called the "past" for a reason: it's past. And the "present" is a gift. The future can be saved for a time when it's finally present. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You would make a good counselor with your positive thinking. Like it Kathy . . .

Mary T said...

Someone said to me just yesterday that the present is called a present because it's a gift. Now you say it- that's a good sign! I've never thought about it with that literal meaning. I love a present!