28 March 2012

The Good Parts . . .

Good Part #1 ~


Company, guests, or whatever you want to call them! I've had some the past couple of weeks. Not a normal thing for me, although after they're here, I'm sad to see them go. But both visits were true serendipities. One was Sue, my college roommate in 1966-68. I had seen her some since then, but not for many years now. The only thing that's changed about her is her age! We packed a lot into two days, and I miss her already. The other, Karla, owned a business in Minnesota that I had called on when I worked for the radio stations in Iowa. I hadn't realized, until we were halfway through her visit, that she should roundly and soundly be counted amongst my handful of of best buds, the kind that will be there when you need them. The funny part is the connection between these two friends. They live not far from each other in Minnesota, but didn't know each other. One day I decided I wanted to see the old college roommate, so I had Karla call Sue to be sure she was home before I drove clear up there. We made up a story that Karla's business was having someone drop a package off to her (me!). When I rang Sue's bell, she was definitely surprised. Neither of them remembered the phone call, but I certainly do. Glad we did it. 


My point in mentioning the visits is that, until you've spent some time with people from your past, you tend to forget what you meant to them and what they mean to you, how they helped shape your life, and where you come from. I called on many small towns back then and I can name at least one person from each who still means the world to me. I may never see them again, but I have the memories.

"If you want to see where your heart is, look to see 
where your mind wanders."

A very fitting statement. Fitting not only regarding people, but where you are. I sat on my back deck (the one that inspires me) after Karla left. I thought about the times that I worry how I'll be in 2, 5, 10 years, and about avoiding catastrophes, and all of that kind of stuff. But, as I sat there looking off into the distance, it washed over me how lucky I am. I have that view, I have a great home, I have people who mean a lot to me, and I have good energy . . . life is good! 


Good Part #2 ~


I did some "farming" today. The picture says it all, but I will add that, if these flowers don't make it, I quit! Felt good diggin' in the dirt though. 



Put 'em on your prayer list!

Good Part #3 ~

"Grace" is now a hardcover book in my bookcase! Since there were nearly 100 entries, I thought I should "gitter done". Cost me a pretty penny, but hopefully it will mean something to someone someday. Right now, it means a lot to me. It marks major turning points, life's core traumas, and keys to the future.

"The ongoing story . . ."


Ben's butterfly on the cover 



My "Thank You"


One page of the contents            
                            

A sample page

It isn't a published work, partly because I don't know that it's sale-able, and partly because it probably takes big bucks. As I read through it, I sometimes felt "out of body", not believing that I wrote it. Who is this person? What's her purpose? Does what she says have any redeeming value to anyone? Doesn't matter . . . it is what it is, and I'm happy and free to be me.


(Remember: you can check your 'reaction' below)










               


1 comment:

Mary T said...

Really glad you did that.