I felt something missing and, lo and behold, I noticed it's been almost a month since I last bared my soul on my blog! This one will just take me here and there, and if you want to come along, grab a cuppa joe.
The first thing I want to mention, because of the upcoming Veteran's Day, is one of those serendipity type stories I'm so fond of . . .
Around a month ago, my friend Bob asked if I would attend two meetings with him regarding a big event involving the Veteran's Administration. Being his biggest fan, of course I was willing. They wanted family and/or friends to be involved. The event is called Operation Freedom Bird and you're one lucky pup if you've been chosen to be a part of it. I'll see if I can get the details straight.
Twenty-some years ago, a pilot, for what is now Southwest Airlines, came up with the idea of doing something really big, REALLY big, for veterans, especially those from the Vietnam era. The "welcome home" these boys got back then, for lack of a better word, stunk. In a nutshell, Southwest agreed with the pilot's plan, which was to fly a certain number of vets, totally FREE each year, to Washington DC. The flight and hotels are complimentary. While there they are bused to Arlington National, and other momuments, not the least of which is The WALL. This is a very emotionally draining journey on one hand. On the other, it's a huge release for them. They learn how much people really do care.
Bob was honored to have been chosen, along with several others, to take part in this year's trip. This is a guy who had NO one waiting at the airport when he returned from 'Nam. They arrived in DC today (11/9/12), and he called to tell me what it was like when they boarded the plane in Phoenix. As they walked down the corridor, the airport announced over the PA system, who this large group of guys were and what they were embarking on. Bob said everyone along the way stood up, cheered and applauded as they walked to their plane. (I'm getting another lump in my throat as I write this.) He had to put on his sunglasses to hide the tears. He was astounded and had never experienced anything like it in his life. How WONDERFUL is that?!! When they arrived in DC, they were given another overwhelming welcome, complete with fire hoses shooting arcs of water over their plane! Tonight they made the night time trip to the WALL, but will make another one in the day time. Tomorrow and Sunday will be big, and I'm sure, tiring, days for them. Little do these guys know that the best is yet to come! ;) I'll detail that in another post.
_____________________________________________________
After that, the rest of my bits 'n pieces pale in comparison. But, yes, I'm still thinking about the big life change. I go back and forth like a swing, tallying all of those pro's and con's. The biggest thing about staying with the house is that it can be damned lonely living by oneself, and it becomes more and more difficult to fight that. I know that many people give up. I can't imagine that, but I do understand. It's always been a passion of mine to experience more than a 100 mile radius from home. So, if I don't go, that's what it will remain.
The next biggest thing is that my friend Bob is moving an hour away. He's living his dream, and he needs to do it. An hour doesn't seem insurmountable, but I think about all of the spontaneous things we do that will no longer be possible at that distance . . . "hey, lets go to a movie", or, "hey, lets go get something to eat", or, "hey, come over for dinner." Not so easy at that distance. Yes, I have dad here this winter, but no more after this year. Then what? I hear the haunting call of the road beckoning!
So . . . why am I not living my dream? I'm tempted to get into my P & C list here , but it's much too long and mind boggling. It will fill the book you see there.
____________________________________________
Other than those two monumental items, I've been whiling away my days working, feeding horses and pigeons, and wishing for more kayaking weather. One of these days I'm going to purchase one of those "round tuits"!



1 comment:
Ahhh I definitely had tears in my eyes reading that! How special for your friend! Wow! I hope he has the time of his life during his trip to DC! It makes me sad they have to do things like this in order to know how appreciated they truly are. Since they do, I'm glad they do it for those men! Amazing! :) AC
Post a Comment