This brings to mind the dynamics of a family. In mine we have five siblings. There was what we call the "first" family . . . two brothers and a sister (me). Then there was the second . . . two girls 12 and 15 years after the "first". The eldest and youngest are 19 years apart. The first three have a history that the second two cannot share due to the distance of time. And due to that distance, we grew up with different values and memories. But we all managed to meld together for happy and memorable childhoods. Thinking about it magnifies the stark differences in personalities and life paths. Take me for instance: Am I or am I not the middle child? Not sure where I fit, but this I do know . . . losing first my mother, then nearly my brother, a piece of history dies. Once they're gone, they're . . . just gone. Doesn't matter where you fit. They are a piece of you.
Mom holding Larry
I realize that many siblings separate themselves for horrible, irrevocable reasons. But I do not understand families where some of the members are estranged from one another for petty reasons, which could be patched through a simple "I'm sorry". They share a bond, but throw it away as easily as one tosses out garbage. Pride. It can contribute to making your life so much less.
I sit with dying people, many who have no family who should be sitting in my place. I cannot begin to imagine the thoughts rolling through their minds as they prepare for their end on Earth. I suspect many have made peace with the cards they were dealt. But the more agitated ones I suspect have not. If they are aware of my presence, I can only hope that maybe I bring to mind someone they cared for.
If you are one of those dealing with demons, take that first step forward this Thanksgiving Day. Realize how small you are in the scheme of things, and sew your history back together.
(Please go to the bottom and choose your reaction. It helps me to know if I'm hitting home. Thanks.)

1 comment:
Larry is still in my prayers as are you! I hope you were able to enjoy your Thanksgiving day!
Post a Comment