Me 'n that shadow
Some days, when I come home from work, I let myself get into a funk . . . gee, NOW what should I do, who can I do it with . . . wah, wah, wah. Sometimes it's good to remember that there's no better company than the "self", me 'n my shadow. Who could one be more in sync with than their "self"? I mean think about it. Who else really allows you to do whatever you want without judging you, or getting miffed that you don't enjoy their agenda? Who knows you better? Now mind you, I'm not saying I never enjoy anyone else's company. It's just that it's good to invite your "self" into the mix once in awhile.
The whole world is a crazy place, and there's a certain solace in knowing you can dive under the covers of your own world. Eat what you crave, watch TV or not, read whatever and whenever you fancy, exercise or not . . . How long has it been since you really, really did this? I understand that some of you have families, or at least a significant other, but you still need to be good to you. And I've been bad about that. When that happens I know instantly that I'm afraid of something, and it's time to GET OVER IT!!
One cannot be all things to all people. That is mostly a "woman thing", a killer of individualism, an ignitor of unhappiness.
So, to what do I owe my sudden reawakening this week? It started at church on Sunday where I laughed my way through the entire service. Not my fault if the Pastor is blessed with a no-holds-barred sense of humor while never losing sight of his message. I continued on through two work days looking forward to spending some time with a new girl friend. She stayed Tuesday night, and on Wednesday (my day off) we loaded up my kayaks and gave her her first kayaking experience. I love taking someone out for their first time because, in my opinion, there is nothing more peaceful than quietly (or raucously) paddling on calm water. And we could not have asked for a more perfect day. Not sure, but I think she is now hooked! Then two more work days, and another adventure coming up this weekend watching my friend and his horse taking part in a poker run. I know it will be blasted hot, windy, and dirty, but hey . . . I'm alive!
Now the trick is in keeping myself on a roll. I'm imaginative, I'm not needy, I like to invent things to do, so this should be a proverbial piece o' cake, yes? Okay, I'm human and I know I'm going to trip up once in awhile. But, after 65 years, I'm finally getting the picture of who's really there for me. I just need to listen to her more carefully.
And so I shall. You do the same for your "self".
No comments:
Post a Comment