13 March 2011

WATER ~ Heaven on Earth!

I have 4 passions .... reading, writing, photography, and water. Regarding the latter, I mean bodies of water, from little Willow Lake to the Mighty Pacific .... doesn't matter. It's the only place where I feel the sum of my soul. There is nothing like the trickling, or rushing, sound of water. I've always been a water baby and, oddly enough, I'm an Aquarius, the water bearer (if you believe in that stuff). I had my first dose of kayaking today since last fall, and I sorely needed it. When I unload that little "ship" from my 'Rango, and set it in the water, I'm transformed. Seriously! I put my gear on the dock beside the 'yak, get in, load the stuff (life vest, water bottle, camera, cell phone, and a breakfast bar), and touch my paddle to the water, which is almost as smooth as glass. The warm sun is infusing me with vitamin D, and the air temp is a perfect 70°. As I skirt the shoreline, all is better than good with the world. I pulled the camera from my dry bag in preparation for capturing memories. Yes, even an office chair at water's edge!
As I paddle along, I stop every now and then just to let it soak into me how lucky I am. I'm alive, I feel good, and I have everything I could ever need. Well, almost ... 
There were others on the lake, in kayaks, sailboats, and canoes, but they don't enter the little nooks and crannies, which is fine with me .... I have them, and my thoughts, all to myself. And I had many thoughts. God speaks to me out here, more clearly than elsewhere.
 As I moved down one long finger of water, past trees and tall weeds, I saw no less than 12 blue herons, and hundreds of ducks. They seemed to sense my presence before I ever saw them. The sound of them taking flight is a rush.
I passed over areas that were probably several feet deep, and areas that were no more than three or four inches, which were no problem. Ya gotta love the draft of a kayak! I put my face to the sun and sighed with a grin many times. Why oh WHY can't I live out there like these Mallards?!! Perhaps in another life ...
I spent 3 glorious hours on Willow Lake and didn't cover all of it ... close, but not quite. All I know is that, when I was nearing the dock, I didn't want it to end. I felt pure contentment, a feeling that there couldn't be anything else this close to perfect. I'm not talking about the water, although it's clarity was not bad. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is what it's like when everything comes together to make for a melody like Richard Clayderman's 'Les Chagrins Oublies' ... a very happy composition. In fact, I was listening to it on my iPod out on my deck tonight and started conducting the orchestra like a fool! Glad it was dark out :).

What a day! All 4 of my passions came into play ... I am blessed.

1 comment:

Mary T said...

The mention of new photos at the end of the blog led me to re-read the entire journal. This turned out to be an opportunity to see the personal changes & growth from the initial entry, and also the continuity in the quality of the writing. We wouldn't be able to understand & learn as well without that. Keep on doing what you're doing!