01 April 2011

You've Come A Long Way, Baby!

First, I went back and read all of my blog posts from when I started about 5 months ago. Took awhile, but it was well worth the reminders. Sometimes I need those to stay on the straight and narrow. I hope you still enjoy reading them as much as I do writing them. It's been very cathartic, not to mention fun, serious, necessary, and sometimes sad. But most of all, I hope it's entertaining, if not helpful. 


And next . . . . . . .YES!! I'm almost there! But I probably need another gallon of stain to gitter all done. It's been a true labor of love. I promised I'd get things done and I am. But this was pretty labor intensive since I power washed, sanded, and am hand-brushing all of it, so the upper deck may have to wait. I almost felt as if I built it from the bottom up! Anyway, a couple more days and I'll be sitting on it, heaving a sigh of relief. UPDATE: The main deck is done as of 4/2/11 !!!!



While I was working (making someone else rich), I never had the pleasure of knowing how much doing things for yourself could make one feel so satisfied and complete. But I also now better understand how hard it can be. I wish I'd had more time or energy to help Ben. In '07, when he was undergoing chemo, he hired a white guy to help him for $20 an hour. After one day, that guy never showed up again. So Ben hired a little Hispanic guy by the name of Sergio. Sergio was a worker! And he was thorough. $10 an hour. What would you have done?! I'm just sorry that Sergio isn't still around. But the yard is ready for summer, the furnace/ac will be here soon, and I'm ready for another kayaking session! Today would have been perfect, but duty called. 


Duty will keep calling . . . and I'll be ready.

No comments: