08 November 2011

This thing called "aging" ~

As I sat in church the other day, something came up on the overhead that caused me to say, "Hey! What a concept!" It went something like this:

"Worry not about the past nor the future - they are beyond your grasp." 

And to that I'd add:

"NOW IS FOREVER!!"  Amen.

Someone else once said:

"Age is mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

But sometimes I DO mind. I have so many undone things to do, like pay-it-forwards, places I haven't seen (and likely never will), home maintenance meant for a younger body, people to see, books to read, pictures to take. And on it goes.


Two things that are beating the aging demon for me are, 1) A sense of humor and, 2) an attitude that refuses to let me grow old mentally. Can't do much about the physical aspect other than keeping the parts moving.





I sometimes catch a glimpse of an aging person in the mirror and say, "Hey! What happened to that little blonde girl?" No answer. She grew up and moved on. I catch myself wanting to stop the process. But then I think, no, I wouldn't have gained the advantage of all this wisdom I've learned and earned through these 63 years. And just what is 63 when mentally I'm still in my 30's? I shall not regret growing older -- it's a privilege denied to many.  As Dr. Oz said:


"Genetics loads the gun, but your lifestyle pulls the trigger."

I have observed many veterans on their journey at the V.A., both young and old; some who fight it and some who are at peace. We who are left to mourn their passing can in no way grasp the totality of it. Death is such a puzzle to those left behind. 

I keep thinking about the changes occurring in myself, most notably over the past 4 years, changes that might not have occurred had I not lost those two major people within such a short span of time. I find myself thinking that I've taken on some of both of their attributes. Eureka! That is how those who have passed to their eternal life are able to live on! Through us. Makes sense to me.

Bring on the character lines! They're proof of the courage of my convictions.


(Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

1 comment:

Mary T said...

I also do mind it! Thanks for the reminder that it is a privilege- so true. It's easy to feel grateful just by looking around, & that gratitude saves the day for me- every time just like magic!