24 November 2010

More life lessons for kids . . . which I never had . . . kids, that is. But I was one!

 I was brought up in an era when gay meant you were happy, suits and dresses were not an oddity, families ate dinner together, you went to church so you could make up your own mind about God, electronics didn't muddle up your mind, you were easily entertained, divorce was a somewhat foreign word, you had a curfew, "Christ" was in Christmas, Thanksgiving advertising didn't start until after Halloween, and you didn't see Christmas stuff until after Thanksgiving, your parents disciplined you and you appreciated it later on because you knew they cared, and the list goes on . . .


So here are more things I would have taught "little" Kathy had I known them at the time:


If you don't know the answer to something, don't be embarrassed to just say so. You don't
   have to make excuses.
Brush your teeth. They're the only ones you have.
Take care of your health. Don't put things off.
You don't have to tan to a deep brown -- you'll pay for it later in life. Premature sagging and
   wrinkles aren't cool.
Eat dark chocolate -- all others are bad.
Try to be a kind person, even when it goes against your grain.
If you must lose your temper, do it in a controlled manner. (Is that possible? :-)
Knowledge is power! Be well armed.
Be a creature of habit when it comes to a healthy routine.
In all other things, be spontaneous. Spontaneity = happiness
Take a course in critical thinking. Learn to really look at both sides.
Be a good listener -- really hear what people are saying.
Do not be an interrupter -- you'll be lonely.
Ask good questions but not until the person is done speaking.
Buy bras that fit right or you'll be negatively affected.
Pick a good perfume and make it your "signature" scent.
Shower every day and clean all 2000 parts thoroughly.
Don't buy anything that doesn't totally blow you away. Especially clothes.
Collect and choose friends carefully. And remember that quality is more important than 
   quantity. Three strikes and they're out! Actually, two strikes is plenty.
Learn early that life on earth ends. Treat people as if you could lose them the next day.
If someone does you an unexpected favor, pay it forward.
And, as they say, "be comfortable in your own skin".


                                                   
      I think I now am. Thanks Mom and Dad!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE SPECIAL! JUST SAW OUR PHOTO ON YOUR LAST BLOG!!! THANK YOU! WE CONSIDER YOU TO BE ONE OF OUR FINEST ACCOMPLISHMENTS.
--DAD

Mary said...

Love that pic of your folks. I met them after you 3 kids were born. They had a life before that!