14 May 2011

"Till Death Do Us Unite"



Sacred Datura


As many of you know, one tends to regress occasionally to little snippets of memories, set off by the simplest things. The following was written by a dear friend of mine upon the passing of her husband, so some of the thoughts are hers alone. I had toyed with writing something similar, but she did it so well. I have permission to duplicate it here. Some of the things she mentions serve to remind one not to be in a rush to clear things out after a loved one is gone. Such things can recall sweet memories, the stuff that keeps us going, reminds us that we have a reason for being. After all, what better gift could they leave . . . 


Life is being good to me. Or maybe I'm being good to it. I can't take full credit for that. But I've said it before . . . I can't recall a time when I was much happier or more content. Maybe 'serene' is a better word. I may not have much, but all that I have is mine to share! 


"You're my world, you are my night and day . . .
You're my world, you're every prayer I pray.
With your hand resting in mine, I feel a power so divine!"




More Than a Vow


"Till Death do us part.


Your scent lingers in a jacket lining.
Your tools hang waiting for strong hands.
Your car hides pockets of candy favorites.
Your leather chair sits beside the fireplace,
   imprinted with your head and hips.


Your work boots wait for purposeful feet.
Your roll top desk stays unrolled.
Your briefcase leans against the desk.
Your law books gather dust
   in the library shelves you built.


Your neckties hang limp in my closet.
Your shaving cream no longer foams.
Your suitcase holds forgotten medicines.
Your photographed eyes entreat from
   remembered trips to Italy and France.


Your friends search my face for answers.
Your name completes my Mrs. with your Mr.
Your signature stops my heart.
Your voice steals my breath,
   whispering,


Till Death do us unite."


 - SG
 March, 2005

2 comments:

Deb said...

I like the poem. Thoughtful, descriptive, emotional.

Mary T said...

This is something to keep & savor & come back to again... & again. It gives comfort & peace of mind, & finds joy in the sadness.