29 May 2011

"The sweetness of just doing nothing . . ."

Been watching the movie "Eat Pray Love" (Julia Roberts). Lots of food for thought when it comes to the American work ethic as viewed by Italians! We truly don't know how to relax and just be. I'm in that place of "dancing along the border between turbulence and order", so this was a good movie for me to watch. Eating the right foods, praying for guidance and really listening, and learning to love again while maintaining my balance . . . these are things that don't come easy for me. And I've never been able to meditate. The wheels are always turning and churning with places to go, things to accomplish and worry about. I need to get to that other place, the one where I'm not afraid to step away from everything familiar and peel off the layers, the years of buildup that come from listening to everyone but myself ~ the collected habits of time. So many unrealized hopes and dreams . . .



"If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed,
you may say to a mountain,
'Move to this other place';
and the mountain will move."
- Matthew 17:20

If I look at a typical day in the life of Kathy, it pretty much repeats the day before, leading me to think of this: "If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got." My one step in the right direction is my commitment to the V.A. hospice training. I'm excited about that motivation. Who knows where it can lead? One thing I do know is that I need to have a purpose, and I need to get on the path to it. It reads as if I'm running counter to the title of this blog, but I believe that when I find the power to change, I will have found the power to relax. Power is energy with a purpose, but anything that has become habitual has lost its purpose. I'm tired of living on the surface!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary T said...

I feel like that sometimes- each day like the one before. Then all the kid's families arrive for Mem Day at the lake & the time is wonderfully mega filled. It also gives appreciation to the "boring" days afterward, & space for thought, contemplation, & taking a breath!

Kathy said...

One good thing, MT, is that I'm never bored. Hate that word!! Just have to work on 'repetitive'. :)