14 June 2011

Filling the void

In visiting with an old friend in Mini-soda tonight, we were kicking around things we all think about. How does one fill time when A) you've recently lost your partner and, B) you've recently retired. (I'm not the one to ask about item B seeing as how I had to go back to work.) If you've been an active person, both of those are toughies. UNLESS, like me, you're easily entertained. I was a child BE (before electronics). I could always think of something to do. Not always the *right* things mind you, but at least they occupied my time. Hated being in the house unless it was raining hard, and even then I might venture out. Hopefully, whatever you were in childhood, follows you into your adult years, providing you want it to. But what if it doesn't? No one wants to be a clinging vine to their children or anyone else, but it happens. My friend and I had a grand time thinking up things to do and, quite frankly, I don't have time for all of it! I'm not going to get into a list of "To Do's". We all know the drill . . . volunteer, read, walk . . . oops! there's that list.




All kidding aside, there were times when I worried about what was to become of me, but I've always maintained that I'm one of those they label a "survivor", or a "comeback kid". When I get to a point where I'm anxious, my fix is deep breathing with a little thinking thrown in for good measure. I'm happiest getting my hands dirty, ie: accomplishing something that really needed to be done. (See previous post regarding "The Deck") Sometimes I wish my yard wasn't so low maintenance! Nights may be the worst for some people. I don't watch much TV, but I read a lot. I'm also tickled when someone calls me that I haven't heard from in a long while. Or I'll call someone. I don't know how some get along without a computer. Email and Facebook have been wonderful outlets for me, along with this blog. And some of my upcoming nights will be spent at the V.A. seeing others through it. 

In a nutshell, depending upon the size of the nutshell, it is a scary thing to suddenly be responsible for your own well-being. But almost to a person, everyone I've talked with has been surprised and happy to realize what they're capable of when put in that position. The human mind is a versatile and adaptable thing! As the song says, "the darkest hour is just before dawn"


1 comment:

Mary T said...

That explains the usual 3:00 a.m. "can't sleep scenario"- it comes before first light & the dawning of a new day.