This is part of that "Filling the void" thing . . .
The only thing I'm angry with myself about is selling the Makita cordless drill on last fall's garage sale. Grrr. Otherwise, I'm pretty set when it comes to fixit things. This is the one area where I'm so glad I'm one of those "willing to give it a go" people. I'm armed with two good books: Dare to Repair and Home Repair and Maintenance. Actually, I think there are several others that Ben had. I also have a good website in my arsenal: ehow.com. When all else fails, I have a faithful friend and good neighbors!
I can't begin to remember all of the things I've "fixed". Nothing major mind you, but never say never. If something in that bracket comes along, I'm ready. I have tightened down a few screws working their way out, took care of the big deck, got the outside stairs ready to stain, killed off many weeds and apple tree volunteers, planted things, fixed a toilet seat, along with doing routine things I used to have help with. Until I became responsible for everything, I never realized how hard Ben worked at keeping things working, and building things that made life easier. Thankfully he left things in pretty good shape because what he took care of is now mine to take care of. I don't see anything major happening in the foreseeable future.
I'm sure there are guys reading this and saying, "no big deal", but I know guys who CAN'T fix stuff! And what is my point in writing this anyway? Being self-sufficient is a big part of survival. One can't depend on others all of the time. Annnnnnd . . . the feeling of accomplishment is unsurpassed. I realize that age and physical problems can limit the ability to do certain things, so those of you who fit that description get a free pass. Totally understandable. But if you are capable, but you allowed/are allowing your spouse to "do it all" (not including the things you do/did), please please consider re-training yourself. I'm just very glad that I not only helped Ben, but paid attention when I didn't. So much of what I'm talking about will see you through your darkest days. Don't have any dark days? All the better! I have learned through all of this that it was not my career that defined me, nor did my friends or husband, or even where I came from. What defines me is what I know I'm capable of and willing to do. Yes, all of the aforementioned things come in to play, but in the end, it's all up to me.
One of my many jobs now . . .
And I'm happy to tell you that I'm now a certified volunteer of the Veterans Administration! In a couple of weeks I can add my night shifts to anything else that might come along.

1 comment:
That's where I also find myself right now in the home fix-it dept. Can't do it all, but it's fun learning new skills & the rewards of accomplishment, however small. Defining ourselves by knowing what we are capable of & willing to do- encouraging food for thought...
Post a Comment